Sunday 7 April 2013

Doctor Who: The Rings of Akhaten Review

Ah, now that's more like it.

As readers of my blog will know, I didn't particularly enjoy The Bells of St John. However, I also stated that I was sure that it would get over that minor blip and return back to good form. It appears that I was right.

Neil Cross - the writer for the very impressive Luther - penned this very heartwarming and emotional episode. It was heartfelt in every sense of the word. From the start, where we learn more about Clara and her up bringing to seeing Clara deal with an upset little girl by telling her stories. Cross really nails the emotion that we've come to love from Doctor Who.

What I loved, though, is getting to know more about Clara's character. It's clear to me that she is a lot sweeter compared to Amy Pond's rough and ready companion - no bad thing. A very welcome change for me. However, she still has that little edge because of what has happened to her character before. We don't know how she's died previously which gives her that little bit of depth that makes for an even more enjoyable series. The back story that came with Clara was incredible too.

An emotional and lovely episode of Doctor Who that I throughout enjoyed. I look forward to the next episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment