Monday 20 December 2010

Mafia 2 Review

First of all I would like to say this is not what it seems. This is not a open world game, the world is a backdrop to the deep,authentic and brutal story. You play as a Vito Scaletta a strong,silent, gets the job done type of guy.

The game starts with you at war but then you get injured in action and get sent home. This is when the story really starts, you start of at the bottom and as you progress you get higher and higher in the world.

The best part of Mafia 2 is the story telling, that's what really keeps the game stop notch. Every bit of dialogue is perfect and the facial expressions are some of the best I have seen in a game. You feel Vito emotion with him, 2k really make you connect with the characters. The way the city changes as you go through the story really impressed me, also the whole 50's feel to the game was perfect.

The gameplay though is where Mafia 2 is let down, the cover system is shocking, it simply just doesn't work, you just carry on to get shot at. The driving is too arcadey for my liking but there's nothing flawed about it, the shooting is good with certain weapons, if you stay using the pistol then it is fine (I did this) but when you start using some of the heavier weapons they don't pack enough of a punch and they move around everywhere, I mean I thought this guy was in the army?

Although this is not a open world game as such there is still things to do after you've completed the game like find all the playboy magazines and wanted posters,sell cars if you want more money and pimp your car up (although there is not much to do with it).

I thoroughly enjoyed my play through off Mafia 2, I felt it was a refreshing change to other open world games. The story definitely would keep anyone playing until the shocking ending. This game was a flawed masterpiece. 87%

No comments:

Post a Comment